Without the help of an experienced probate attorney, settling the estate of a loved one can be an overwhelming task. Our law firm has over 50 years of experience in probating estates in Southern Wisconsin. The services we provide include:
- Opening the estate with the court, and obtaining the appointment of the estate’s personal representative.
- Providing notice to all interested parties and creditors as required by law.
- Preparing and filing all documents required by the probate court in a timely manner.
- Assisting with the collection of life insurance proceeds.
- Advising on the payment of the decedent's final bills and outstanding debts.
- Inventorying and valuing the estate’s assets.
- Determining if any estate taxes will be due, and, if so, arranging for their payment.
- Preparing and filing the decedent’s final tax return as well as the estate’s income tax return.
- Assisting with the sale of estate property.
- Requesting court permission for various actions as may be required by law.
- Retitling the decedent's real estate into the names of the estate beneficiaries if it is not being sold.
- Distributing the decedent's net estate to the beneficiaries.
- Preparing and filing the estate’s final accounting, and securing the discharge of the estate’s personal representative.
In most cases, our probate clients don’t ever have to step foot in a courtroom. Our experienced guidance helps personal representatives meet their obligations, while reducing the stress and confusion of the probate process.